ASSISTANT DIRECTOR CALLOUT
The Gate theatre is looking for an assistant director to work with Anna Himali Howard who will direct A Small Place
. Below is a synopsis of the play-
"You emerge from customs into the hot, clean air: immediately you feel cleansed, immediately you feel blessed (which is to say special); you feel free."
For the first time ever, Jamaica Kincaid’s searing story about Western colonial exploitation is adapted for the stage. Fly with us to Antigua and take a closer look at the past, the present and where we really are.
The production dates are as follows:
Rehearsals from: Monday 8th
Technical rehearsals from Tuesday 6th
First Preview: Thursday 8th
Press Night: Tuesday 13th November 2018
Final Performance: Saturday 1st
Please do not apply if you are not available for all or the majority of the period up to Press Night.
The Gate Theatre is looking for an assistant director who:
HOW TO APPLY
- Would like to know how a small theatre company runs.
- Has the ability to be supportive and sensitive in the rehearsal room.
- Can provide a strong reason for wanting to work on A Small Place.
- Can articulate how this experience will inform their artistic development.
The application should be typed and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject, A Small Place Assistant Director. The application will require a directing CV (no more than two pages) and a letter (one A4 page) detailing:
- Why you are interested in assisting on this particular project
- What the project will mean in terms of your artistic development
- The skills and experience you can bring to the rehearsal room and production.
Please fill out our Equal Opportunities Form
and attach with your application
There is a fee of £1537 to cover the rehearsal period at 30 hours per week for a 5 week period. The assistant director is welcome to attend any rehearsals beyond these hours on a voluntary basis but this is not required. Specific rehearsal hours you will be required for will be agreed in advance with the director.
The assistant director will be required to undertake research and attend meetings prior to the rehearsal period.
CLOSING DATE AND SELECTION PROCESS
The deadline for applications is Thursday 16th August 2018.
Interviews will take place on Tuesday 21st August.