The Gate theatre is looking for a design assistant to work with Naomi Kuyck-Cohen and Joshua Gadsby who will design Trainers or The Brutal Unpleasant Atmosphere of the most disagreeable season: A Theatrical Essay. Below is a synopsis of the play.
The Only Rule Is To Break The Rules.
A parallel present.
Two queer bodies meet in the fallout of a second civil war.
In a time of revolution, is love the most radical act?
Trainers… by Sylvan Oswald asks what separates us from each other. our bodies, ourselves, and how we might complete one another.
This queer visionary adventure story explores the different ways we can be lovers and activists and humans and what it takes to train for a revolution.
The Production Dates Are As Follows:
Rehearsals: 27th January – 22nd February
Technical Rehearsals: 24th February
First preview: 27th February
Press night: 3rd March
Run ends: 21st March
Please do not apply if you are not available for all of the period up to Press Night.
We Are Looking For A Design Assistant Who:
- Feels the themes of Trainers resonates with them and can articulate how
- Is excited about work that evokes conversation around gender and body politics
- Has knowledge on how space and perspective can affect different bodies
- Has an interest in costume with the ability to sew and could source costumes
- Can play with costume and material
- Is dependable during high pressure moments
Desirable (But Not Essential)
- Good referencing skills
- A good understanding of visual dramaturgy and interdisciplinary practice.
HOW TO APPLY
The application should be typed/recorded and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject, Trainers- Design Assistant
The application will require a directing CV (no more than two pages) and a letter (one A4 page) detailing:
- Why you are interested in assisting as designer on this particular project.
- What the project will mean in terms of your artistic development.
- The skills and experience you can bring to the rehearsal room and production.
- Please also follow the link here to fill out the Equal Opportunities form.
We also welcome applications and cover letters in the form of audio recordings, videos and power point presentations, please do let us know if you require any of our documents in another format by emailing Valerie.
We are keen to hear from applicants from underrepresented communities in the theatre industry. We are particularly interested in hearing from design assistants that identify as LGBTQ+ and/or non-binary.
We are committed to creating a workforce which is representative of our society and to bringing together those with a variety of skills and experiences, to help shape what we do and how we work. We are particularly keen to hear from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME), disabled candidates and people from low socio-economic backgrounds. Please note that our theatre and office are not wheelchair accessible.
There is a fee of £1600 to cover the rehearsal and preview period up to press night; a total of 5 weeks. The design assistant is welcome to attend any rehearsals beyond their duties on a voluntary basis but this is not required. Specific rehearsal hours you will be required for will be agreed in advance with the director.
The assistant director may be required to undertake research and attend meetings prior to the rehearsal period.
CLOSING DATE AND SELECTION PROCESS
The deadline for applications is Monday 30th December 2019. Interviews will take place week commencing Monday 6th January 2020.